I have been resisting reading Harry Potter since 1997 when
the first part was out. Although to be fair I did read the first 10 pages back
then, but somehow felt a novel based on magic and wizardry with weird names
like Dumbledore or Voldemort or references like You-Know-Who” and
“He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named” were not my cup of tea. I have never watched any of
the HP movies either.
So I stuck with likes of Ken Follet, Robin Cook, Micheal
Crichton and more recently Mary Higgins Clark.
Circa 2013, I realized, Miss K, one of my close friends, we
had almost similar tastes in books and English sitcoms.
Yes, like you guessed the irony was, she was a big, huge, greatest
and more similar words, a Harry Potter fan. She has read all the 7 books
countless + 1 times and it was a bone of contention between us that this was
the only set of books in which our opinion and tastes differed when it came to
novels.
We even enjoyed Durjoy Dutta, Nikita novels which were mostly
College romance based ones.
After a few months she
prevailed and I agreed to read the Philosopher's stone after I received this
mail from her. It looked like her last attempt to make me read it? He he :P
read it with all ur heart... give it a real
chance
-K
Jokes apart, I took it up, mainly because I trust K on her
taste in novels. To be honest, I struggled with the first 50 pages and it took
me like 2 days for that. I would blame it on reading it late in the night after
work. She was constantly encouraging and threatening too: P asking me to
continue.
Once I got a bit familiar with the terms like Quidditch,
bludger, Hogwarts, Parselmouth and after I could remember all the names I came
across in the first 100 pages, i really started enjoying the book. Now I
just couldn't keep the book down, I couldn't wait to go home every day after
work, finish my dinner and continue the book much to the annoyance of my wife
dearest who started hating HP now: P
So in the next 10 days, I finished the first 4 installments
and then had to stop because I didn’t have a copy of 5-7. Hopefully I get those
copies from someone soon, but until then I got to give it to K for making me
read it. She said it with love, threats, insult and what not but in the end it
was totally worth it.
Thanks K, I owe you big and thanks for not giving up on me :P:P!! and I’m still goanna watch all the
movies although you were totally against it. Hehe!
ps : I still haven't confessed to Miss K :D and i guess she doesn't know about this post!
ps : I still haven't confessed to Miss K :D and i guess she doesn't know about this post!
Next on list.. Twilight Series or Fifty Shades Trilogy
ReplyDelete:)
Gosh! OMG! K (who prefers to be called KJ jr) is a twilight fan, probably that's next.
ReplyDeleteShe also gave me the first 2 books in the fifty shades series but I'm unable to complete it as yet.
I see a common pattern here between Sr and Jr :P
Miss K, who hereby I refer to as KJ jr mailed her response to this post :)
ReplyDeleteConfession??
Hahaha.. I don’t need one Mr.P… I know u will be bewitched J
Hp concedes the level of jus a book… It is an epic.. transcends all contemporary philosophy books… `Read between the lines and u have a whole lotta wisdom… like.. Good is always tested but wins finally.. Love is the most powerful magic and it exists… Most of the times the muggle eye refrains from recognizing the magic around…
“The Magic is true.. jus like the magic in you “Hope you remember this quote
KJ jr
@ Ms KJ jr and Praddy... try Deborah Harkness' s All Souls Trilogy. . :)
ReplyDelete